Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Peppermint Cake Recipe

Hello Friends,

Last night I made the most delicious peppermint cake and I wanted to share the recipe with you.  After I made those delicious cookie bars (that didn't last very long) we needed a new dessert to try and I wanted to make something that was festive for the holidays.  I wanted to make something that I had never made before.  I found this great recipe and made some modifications to make it a really delicious cake.

You will need:

1 box white cake mix
eggs, oil, and water called for on the cake mix box
several drops of red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract
white chocolate peppermint candies
1 container of vanilla frosting
bundt pan
pretty cake plate


 The first thing I did was unwrap a whole bag of Hershey white chocolate peppermint kisses (with very clean hands) and chop them up.  James was a big help in unwrapping the candy and I know it was hard for him to not eat them because they smelled so good!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Next make the cake mix according to the package directions.  If you want a pure white cake batter only use the egg whites and not the egg yokes.
 Remove about 1/3 of the batter into another bowl and add several drops of red food coloring and the peppermint extract.  A few drops of food coloring will make pink batter and several drops will make red.  You can decide how dark you want your batter.  Pour 1/2 of the remaining white cake batter in to the greased bundt pan.  Then add the red batter on top of the white layer.
 My delicious addition to this recipe is to add a layer of that yummy white chocolate peppermint candy I chopped up.  I am so glad I added this layer because it made a big difference in the cake.  There wasn't much peppermint flavor and this candy made the cake delicious!
Next add the remaining white batter on top of the candy layer.  Bake in the oven according to the package directions.  I believe it was about 30-33  minutes.
 Let the cake cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes.  Make sure to grease the pan very well before adding the batter to help the cake come out in one piece.  After the cake is cooled a while place your cake plate over the cake pan and invert it on to the plate.  Let the cake cool completely and then microwave a container of vanilla frosting for 30 seconds.  Gently drizzle the liquidy icing over the top of the cake and sprinkle with chopped peppermint candies.
 Besides the fact that this cake is really easy to make and it is delicious, it is also very pretty!
 Doesn't it just look like Christmas?  I love the red and white candies on it!
There are some white chocolate peppermint chips that Ghirardelli makes but they have been difficult for me to find this year.  The Hershey kisses are a little more work but they are definitely worth it because they have a great peppermint flavor.
This cake will definitely be on the winter dessert menu for next year.  It is very tasty and very satisfying with a cup of hot tea or coffee.  I am so excited to serve our guests this delicious, festive dessert.

I put together our ornament for Main Street Enid's Christmas trees that are proudly displayed in the agency's window down town.  I am excited to reveal my ornament in my next blog post.  It is beautiful!  If you would like to decorate an ornament to promote your business, please contact Kelly Tompkins at (580) 234-1052.  The cost is $10 if you are not a member and free if you are a member.  This is a great way to advertise your business during the holidays!

Until next time . . .
May You Be Blessed!

Tammy

1 comment:

  1. This cake is truly scrumdili-icious and very pretty too!

    ReplyDelete